What are some of the causes of preterm birth?
The society of obstetrics and gynecology of Canada states the following as being the most common causes of preterm birth:
- Not having regular prenatal care.
- The mother having high blood pressure.
- A great deal of stress in the mother’s life.
- Physical abuse from a partner or someone else.
- Expecting multiples.
- Having had a previous baby that was born too early.
- A body weight of less than 45.5 kg (100 pounds).
- Living with a chronic illness.
- Working long hours (more than 8 hours a day or shift work), or work that is physically strenuous