Causes of Preterm Birth
What are some of the causes of preterm birth?
The society of obstetrics and gynecology of Canada states the following as being the most common causes of preterm birth:
- Not having regular prenatal care.
- The mother having high blood pressure.
- A great deal of stress in the mother’s life.
- Physical abuse from a partner or someone else.
- Expecting multiples.
- Having had a previous baby that was born too early.
- A body weight of less than 45.5 kg (100 pounds).
- Living with a chronic illness.
- Working long hours (more than 8 hours a day or shift work), or work that is physically strenuous