The Canadian Premature Babies Foundation (CPBF) bursary was established in 2015 to support children born prematurely in Canada with pursuing their post-secondary education. The application deadline is Friday, June 14th, 2019. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered, but can be resubmitted for the following year.
Eligibility and Application Process
Applicants must have been born prematurely in Canada, must currently live in Canada, and be pursuing a post-secondary diploma/degree full time in the current/subsequent academic year. Applicants are required to submit a 500 words (or less) essay, clearly articulating the following:
- Explain how the impact of being born prematurely has shaped your life experiences and what challenges you have overcome in achieving your education (e.g., medical, financial, personal, etc.).
- Describe the post-secondary program you are pursuing, including your academic and career goals.
- Describe your financial need for the bursary.
- Outline any volunteer or community work you have completed.
- Applicants should also include two letters of reference from a teacher, employer or volunteer coordinator attesting to the applicant’s areas of strength.
- Please email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org,and include “bursary application” in the subject line of the email.
The value of each bursary is $1,000.
2019 applications must reach the CPBF by June 14th. Please note late applications will not be considered.
The Canadian Premature Babies Foundation Board of Directors will select the bursary recipients. Applicants will be notified of the results by July 8th. Bursary recipients are not eligible to apply for a bursary in subsequent years unless they are pursuing a new diploma/degree program after successful completion of the first one for which they received the bursary. We are granting three bursaries in 2019.
Essays will be judged based on a combination of the following: clarity, creativity/originality, completeness, grammar, and spelling.
Please provide basic contact details, including your full first and last name, email address, phone number, and mailing address.
Recipients will be asked to provide a photograph and a short statement, which (in addition to the application essay) will be published on the CPBF-FBPC.org website and promoted on CPBF-FBPC social media accounts. By applying for the bursary, applicants give CPBF-FBPC the right to publish and promote the above-mentioned materials. We will require additional information from successful recipients (such as mailing address, proof of enrollment and SIN) in order to distribute funds.